Back Story Back in January 2017 Craig and I made PowervRA available for macOS and Linux via PowerShell Core. It was always our intention to do the same thing for PowervRO and , although slightly later than we hoped, we’re finally able to do that. PowerShell Core has come a long way itself over the last year, currently in Release Candidate and soon to be GA, and I’m sure a lot of the hard work and community feedback which has gone into that has helped make the job of PowervRO supporting PowerShell Core very straightforward.
vRealize Orchestrator doesn’t have an in-built Unit Test Framework, however I realised that it might be possible to use a combination of Pester and PowervRO for now to achieve similar results. Let’s take a look at an example using a very simple workflow, Workflow1. Workflow1 has two inputs, a and b, both numbers: Workflow1 has a single scriptable task that takes the inputs a and b, multiples them together and stores the result in c, which is output from the workflow.
Learning Pester has been on my list to get done this year and while working on PowervRA I finally had a real project that could make significant use of it. Being able to automate the testing of each PowerShell function means that we can quickly test the impact of any changes to a function. Also, it means that we can test the whole module full of functions against new (and potentially old) versions of vRA.